Photograph by Jade Womack.
There is a wide variety of events this coming week!
So what should you do from December 13 to December 19?
For your convenience, this newsletter includes emojis to help you during these unprecedented times:
- The 🛋 indicates that an event is happening in person inside.
- The 🌲 indicates that an event is happening in person outside.
- The 💻 indicates that an event is happening virtually.
- And finally, the 🆓 indicates that an event is free.
Top picks of the week
1. Crowns across America. ❤️ Volunteer to lay wreaths at Arlington National Cemetery. Note that you must pre-register for a specific entry gate and entry time (Saturday, 🆓 admission, but pre-registration required, 🌲, Arlington).
2. Meet and greet black brewers. 🍻 Join all Black-owned breweries (Fri, starter 🆓, 🌲/🛋, Waldorf) and brands in Maryland and DC for an evening of camaraderie and beer.
3. A round of cocktails. 🍹 The Capitol Riverfront BID is hosting a Toast to the Holidays Cocktail Tour where you can enjoy five festive holiday cocktails (Thursday, $20, 🌲/🛋, Navy Yard).
4. Immigrant and first-generation comedians. 🎭 There “Comedy as a second language” returned to Busboys and Poets which features immigrant and first-generation comedians (Thursday, $10, 🛋, Takoma).
5. A demonstration of Kwanzaa + Black-Owned Holiday Markets. 🎅 There are two black-owned holiday markets. The Umoja Market (Sat-Sun, 🆓 entry, 🌲/🛋, Anacostia) is hosted by Anacostia BID and Anacostia Arts Center and features a “Selfies with Santa” event on Sundays. There is another Black Owned Holiday Market (Saturday, 🆓 entry, 🌲/🛋14th street.) hosted at The Outrage.
6. Wear your Caps gear to the rink. 🏒 Come make Caps s’mores, check out the Washington Capitals decor at the Wharf rink and join other hockey fans for Caps gear gifts (Friday, 🆓 admission and $5 off skate rentals if you wear Caps gear, 🌲, Wharf).
7. Mix up your quizzes and your bingo. 🧩 Head to the Union Market area for Music quiz (Monday, 🆓, 🛋, Union market) in Songbyrd or enjoy Drag Bingo Ugly Sweater (Tuesday 🆓, 🛋, Union market) at Red Bear Brewing, Co.
Everything else this week
- The Japanese art of flower arranging. 💐 Make Flower arrangements inspired by Ikebana (Saturday, $88, 🛋, Union Market) to the Twelve.
- Flower crowns. Flower crowns. Everywhere. 🌲 Make a wreath at one seasonal wreath workshop (Sun, $85, 🛋, Eckington), a holiday farm wreath workshop (Saturday, $25, 🛋, Silver Spring), and one holiday wreath workshop (Sun, $45, 🌲, Union Market). Or go do your shopping in a holiday wreath market (Sat-Sun, 🆓 entry, 🌲, Ballston).
- For the LGBTQ+ community. 🌈 The DC Library will screen the Common wires (Fri, 🆓, 🛋, Douglass). There is also Gay Speed Dating (Thursday, $20, 🛋, Thomas Circle). Or enjoy a Holiday Spectrum Drag Show (Fri, 🆓 entry bring cash for tips, 🛋, Union Market).
- A roundup of Embassy events. 🇶🇦🇫🇷 There is a evening at the Opera (Thursday, 🆓, 🛋, Glover Park) at the French Embassy. The The Qatar America Institute for Culture is organizing a opening reception (Thursday, 🆓🛋, Circle Dupont) for their cultural exhibits with hors d’oeuvres and mocktails (note: it’s sold out, but they allow walk-ins, capacity pending).
- DC is full of foodies. 🇲🇽🥣🌶 There are two virtual cooking classes on the Jewish Flavor of Stews (Thursday, $12, 💻) and the mexican table treasures (Wed, $22, 💻). Or find out how mix the hot sauce (Sun, $30, 🛋, Lamond Riggs). There is a Christmas cookie decorating class (Tuesday, $47, 🛋, Alexandria). There is also a workshop on how to do non-alcoholic holiday drinks (Wed, $80, 🛋, Blagden Alley).
- Punk Rock and Ronald Reagan. 🤘 Join author Kevin Mattson as he discusses the contributions of DC artists and activists to the punk rock explosion (Thursday, 🆓, 🛋/💻, Woodbridge).
- Bad Blood, Poker Face and Wrecking Balls. 💃🏾 There are Madonna-Gaga-Britney Dance Party (Sat, $15, 🛋, Shaw) and one Taylor vs. Miley Dance Party (Thursday, $10, 🛋, 14th St). Or, mix it up and learn to dance rhythm nation (Fri, $20, 🛋/💻, Friendship Heights).
- For those who have children. 🧸 There is a Santa’s Scavenger Hunt (Starting Saturday, 🌲, $5 per child, Arlington) And one prowling owl (Wed, $8, 🌲, Arlington) at the Potomac Overlook. There are friends from Arlington Library Holiday Celebration (Thursday, 🆓 entrance, 🛋, Arlington) and a teen movie showing The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (Wed, 🆓 entree, 🛋, Douglass). There is a celebration of the opening of the “Alif Ba Exhibition” (Sat, $16, 🛋, Downtown) at the National Children’s Museum with a variety of activities including Arabic story time, Arabic calligraphy and mosaic tile making.
- More holiday events. 🎄 In terms of holiday markets, there is one to National landing (Sat-Sun, 🆓 entry, 🌲, Arlington), a with SAMASAMA at City State Brewing (Saturday, 🆓 entry, 🌲, Edgewood)and one last minute market at Brookland Arts Walk (Saturday, 🆓 entry, 🌲, Brookland). There is a conference on Santa Claus (Tuesday, $13, 🛋, Georgetown) in the film and on Holiday Traditions in Italy (Wed, $25, 💻). Gather around those dressed up as Santa Claus at WINTER PARTY (Sat, 🆓 entrance, 🌲, Union Market) or sing Song of non-denominational holidays (Wed, 🆓 entrance, 🛋, Mt. Pleasant).
- Holidays for your dog. 🐕 There are Making a Gingerbread Niche (Thursday, $35, 🛋, North Bethesda), Puppy Paw Ornament Making (Tuesday, $20, 🛋, North Bethesda), and Pictures of Santa Claus at the salt line (Sun, $10/reservation, 🌲, Navy Yard).
- We love art. 🎨 If you visited the National Mall earlier this year, you might be interested in hearing this artist talk about In America: remember (Tuesday, 🆓, 💻). There is also a conference of African-American art collectors, Larry and Brenda Thompson (Tuesday, 🆓, 🛋/💻, Dupont) And about Alma Thomas (Thursday, 🆓, 🛋, Dupont) at African American history. Or learn more about NFTs at the “New Hue” Opening Reception (Fri, 🆓, 🛋, Alexandria).
- Recruitment of volunteers for visitor information. 🤝 The Museum of African American History and Culture hosts a virtual open houses for volunteers (Wed, 🆓, 💻).
Thanks for reading and let me know what you think of this newsletter,
Jade Womack (@clockoutdc)